25 May 2007

Small Town Politics

I live in a town of about 25,000 in the southwestern corner of Connecticut. Although, larger than many of the true American small towns, it is still small enough to be considered quaint, however, this is Connecticut, so it's more of a quaint chic.

Monday the town will be holding a Memorial Day parade, which will play host to the usual girl scout troop and baseball teams. However, there is one group that caught my attention, the Veterans for Peace, which will march in the parade in protest of the Iraq War. I am not very fond of parades or protests of any kind, however, I understand their purpose. I may just have to bite the bullet on this one though, and figure out what's going down. As such, I may upload a little photo essay documenting the event, and the response to it.

On a side note, I was invited to a counter-protest of the event, however, I do not believe I will be attending, for number one, I dislike protesting. Number two, they are veterans and I would feel somewhat arrogant in asserting to their face that they are wrong, when I have never been to war myself. That does not mean they are right, or that their opinion is not without its ability to be denied, it just means that they are entitled to their opinion and I am not going to directly challenge it.

The best way to take on a protester with out directly confronting him is to just keep on citing the evidence and working behind the scenes. It is my belief that those on the forefront are generally less informed then those who work the curtains.

Stay tuned...

No comments: